Nutrition Services Assistant I
MODESTO CITY SCHOOLS
Nutrition Services Assistant I
Pay Rate: $16.87 per hour
Under general supervision, perform daily food service activities and serve meals to students and site staff.
1. Check, store and inventory supplies.
2. Issue and/or sell cafeteria meal tickets to students.
3. Clean and was dishes, utensils, equipment, work areas and tables.
4. Comply with all relevant sections of the California Uniform Retail Food Facilities Law.
5. Serve food portions in an efficient and proper manner.
6. Store food and supply items according to department procedures.
7. Count and record monies collected and meals served.
8. Perform basic food preparation functions e.g. combine food items to produce food products.
9. Rethermalize, bake, barbecue and deep fry food items.
10. Wear shoes, aprons, hairnets/bonnets and rubber gloves as directed.
11. Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
12. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of food handling and storage standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of acceptable product standards, including quality and sanitation aspects.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds and to push or pull 75 pounds on a rolling rack or cart.
- Ability to compose clear, complete and concise correspondence and reports independently using correct
grammar, syntax, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to perform daily work assignments with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and implement oral and written directions given in English.
High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) Certificate or California High School
Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) Certificate.
Completion of college level courses pertaining to quantity food preparation, food service management,
nutrition, sanitation and safety.
With or without the use of aids:
- Sufficient vision to read small print.
- Sufficient depth perception, color perception and acuity to operate equipment.
- Sufficient hearing to hear normal and telephone conversations in work site environment.
- Ability to speak in an understandable voice and with sufficient volume to be heard at a normal
conversational distance and on the telephone.
- Sufficient strength, coordination and dexterity to use hands and fingers to manipulate small objects, use and operate mechanical and hand kitchen utensils, handle money, count change, use telephone and print or write legibly.
- Sufficient lower body strength, stamina and mobility to sit, kneel, walk, stoop, bend, and extend legs for
prolonged periods of time.
- Sufficient physical ability, strength, balance, mobility, stamina and a tolerance of heights, to climb stairs
and ladders and work on step stools.
- Sufficient physical ability to stand on feet eight hours per day.
- Sufficient physical ability, strength, mobility and stamina to lift 35 pounds and to push or pull up to 75
pounds on a rolling rack or cart.
- Sufficient physical ability and stamina to perform moderate physical labor.
- Sufficient physical ability and stamina to work in environment of rapidly changing temperatures and high
humidity for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient physical ability to reach horizontally and vertically with arms.
- Physical tolerance to extended contact with water, detergents, abrasives, cleaning solvents, cleaning
solutions, disinfectants, and other harsh chemical substances.
- Physical tolerance to chemical odors.
Assistant Director of Nutrition Services